ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Zambrano Settled Status EU settlement scheme Paper Application Form - NEW

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

lolwe
inactive
Zimbabwe

Re: Zambrano Settled Status EU settlement scheme Paper Application Form - NEW

Post by lolwe » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:17 am

lolwe wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:48 pm
DRAFT response for appeal of EUSS refusal based on failure to apply for LTR under Appendix FM - less than 2000 characters
EEA Decision

6. If you believe that the Home Office decision is restricting your rights under the EEA right to free movement please explain below why. If you believe the decision on your EU Settlement Scheme application was not in accordance with the settlement scheme rules please explain why.
The SSHD's refusal is in breach of the appellant’s rights under the EU Treaties, in respect of residence in the United Kingdom. An application for pre-settled or settled status under Appendix EU of the Immigration Rules, should not be refused because the appellant has not yet made an application for leave to remain under Appendix FM of the Immigration Rules (or otherwise pursuant to Article 8 ECHR) on the basis of the relationship with the British citizen child.

The Court of Appeal Patel case led the SSHD to make erroneous updates to the Derivative Residence Card Guidance. The updated guidance redefines a derivative right to reside as a right of last resort. Zambrano, however, is concerned with the circumstances in which a TCN will have a right of residence under EU law.

The test is now whether the TCN is compelled to leave the EU, rather than what would happen if the TCN were so compelled. Despite the Supreme Court's support for the latter position, the guidance still contains legal principles which are ‘unsupported by, and in some cases completely at odds with, previous authority’.

The CJEU has held that article 20 TFEU precludes national measures, including decisions...which have the effect of depriving Union citizens of the genuine enjoyment of the substance of the rights conferred by virtue of their status. The obligation and the jurisdiction to grant residence therefore relies on both Art 20 TFEU and Article 8 ECHR. Accordingly, a person meeting the requirements Regulation 16 of the Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations 2016 (‘the 2016 Regulations’) has a derivative right of residence, notwithstanding that he or she has not yet made an application under the Immigration Rules and pursuant to Article 8 ECHR.
2nd draft

A person meeting the requirements Regulation 16 of the Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations 2016 (‘the 2016 Regulations’) has a derivative right of residence, notwithstanding that he or she has not yet made an application under the Immigration Rules and pursuant to Article 8 ECHR. The obligation and the jurisdiction to grant residence relies on both Art 20 TFEU and Article 8 ECHR.

The Court of Appeal Patel case led the SSHD to make erroneous updates to the Derivative Residence Card Guidance. The updated guidance redefines a derivative right to reside to be a right of last resort based solely on Art 8 ECHR. The Supreme Court, however, recognise Zambrano is concerned with the circumstances in which a TCN will have a right of residence under EU law, thereby engaging Art 20 TFEU and Art 8 ECHR. The SC overruled the CA to conclude Zambrano carers are to be tested on what would happen if they were compelled to leave the EU, rather than whether they would be so compelled. Nonetheless, today's guidance still contains legal principles which are ‘unsupported by, and in some cases completely at odds with, previous authority’.

Furthermore, the CJEU has held that article 20 TFEU precludes national measures, including decisions...which have the effect of depriving Union citizens of the genuine enjoyment of the substance of the rights conferred by virtue of their status. The SSHD's decision to refuse applications for pre-settled or settled status under Appendix EU of the Immigration Rules, because the appellant has not yet made an application for leave to remain under Appendix FM of the Immigration Rules (or otherwise pursuant to Article 8 ECHR) on the basis of the relationship with the British citizen child, is in breach of the appellant’s rights under the EU Treaties, in respect of residence in the United Kingdom.

netqueen
South Africa

Post by netqueen » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:44 am

lolwe wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:47 pm
Miss-Suz wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:44 pm
lolwe wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:23 pm
Miss-Suz wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:37 pm

A case worker called me today, I couldn’t answer he then sent me an email saying I have to reply for private family life before they take decisions on my EUSS case. I am going to copy that email for you to see.
That is shocking.
It is my dear
You really should forward that email to your local MP. The PHSO should also be made aware of what is happening.

Given the shortage of time, you may want to send them a pre action protocol (PAP) letter threatening court action if they do not make a decision.
This is not correct. I thought Judgement was made in January 2020 thus:
''On 30 January 2020 and having heard a number of test cases, Judge Neville of the First-tier Tribunal (IAC) at Taylor House ruled that a person meeting the requirements Regulation 16 of the Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations 2016 (‘the 2016 Regulations’) has a derivative right of residence notwithstanding that he or she has not yet made an application under the Immigration Rules and pursuant to Article 8 ECHR.

The upshot is that the novel concept set out in Home Office policy that a Zambrano carer must first make an unsuccessful fee-paid human rights application before an application under the 2016 Regulations can be submitted is unlawful.''
So what are these caseworkers playing at.? I am sure you will certainly win your case.

lolwe
inactive
Zimbabwe

Post by lolwe » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:12 am

netqueen wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:44 am
lolwe wrote:
Miss-Suz wrote:
lolwe wrote:

That is shocking.
It is my dear
You really should forward that email to your local MP. The PHSO should also be made aware of what is happening.

Given the shortage of time, you may want to send them a pre action protocol (PAP) letter threatening court action if they do not make a decision.
''On 30 January 2020 and having heard a number of test cases, Judge Neville of the First-tier Tribunal (IAC) at Taylor House ruled that a person meeting the requirements Regulation 16 of the Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations 2016 (‘the 2016 Regulations’) has a derivative right of residence notwithstanding that he or she has not yet made an application under the Immigration Rules and pursuant to Article 8 ECHR.

The upshot is that the novel concept set out in Home Office policy that a Zambrano carer must first make an unsuccessful fee-paid human rights application before an application under the 2016 Regulations can be submitted is unlawful.''
So what are these caseworkers playing at.? I am sure you will certainly win your case.
1.) The Home Office do not respect "case law" - particularly if the decision comes from the First Tier Tribunal (a lower court).
2.) The Home Office hope Zambrano carers will just give up and not challenge their refusals.

lolwe
inactive
Zimbabwe

Post by lolwe » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:28 am

lolwe wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:48 pm
DRAFT response for appeal of EUSS refusal based on failure to apply for LTR under Appendix FM - should be less than 2000 characters
EEA Decision

6. If you believe that the Home Office decision is restricting your rights under the EEA right to free movement please explain below why. If you believe the decision on your EU Settlement Scheme application was not in accordance with the settlement scheme rules please explain why.
3rd Draft

The SSHD’s guidance relies on legal principles which are ‘unsupported by, and in some cases completely at odds with, previous authority’. The obligation and the jurisdiction to grant residence relies on Article 8 ECHR and Article 20 TFEU.

13 December 2017: Court of Appeal in Patel v SSHD [2017] EWCA Civ 2028

The Court of Appeal restricts a derivative right to reside to a ‘right of last resort’:
  • CA’s interpretation does not rely on article 20 TFEU.
  • Shortly thereafter, the SSHD updates the Derivative Residence Card Guidance to reflect CA’s legal position.
16 December 2019: Patel v Secretary of State for the Home Department [2019] UKSC 59

The Supreme Court expands the scope of the CA ruling to include article 20 TFEU:
  • Zambrano is concerned with the circumstances in which a TCN will have a right of residence under EU law.
  • Zambrano carers are to be tested on what would happen if they were compelled to leave the EU, rather than whether they would be so compelled.
This court has held that article 20 does not confer any rights on a TCN:R (Agyarko) v Secretary of State for the Home Department [2017] 1 WLR 823, para 62.
Any rights conferred on third-country nationals are not autonomous rights of those nationals but rights derived from those enjoyed by a Union citizen. The purpose and justification of those derived rights are based on the fact that a refusal to allow them would be such as to interfere, in particular, with a Union citizen’s freedom of movement (Chavez-Vilchez,para 62 and the case law cited).
Article 20 TFEU precludes national measures, including decisions...which have the effect of depriving Union citizens of the genuine enjoyment of the substance of the rights conferred by virtue of their status.
The SSHD's decision to refuse applications for pre-settled or settled status under Appendix EU of the Immigration Rules, because the appellant has not yet made an application for leave to remain under Appendix FM of the Immigration Rules (or otherwise pursuant to Article 8 ECHR) on the basis of the relationship with the British citizen child, is in breach of the appellant’s rights under the EU Treaties, in respect of residence in the United Kingdom. A person meeting the requirements of Regulation 16 of the Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations 2016 (‘the 2016 Regulations’) has a derivative right of residence, notwithstanding that he or she has not yet made an application (or renewed an application) under the Immigration Rules and pursuant to Article 8 ECHR.

lolwe
inactive
Zimbabwe

Post by lolwe » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:13 am

EEA Decision

Draft 4 - less than 2000 characters

SSHD refuse a majority of applications by Zambrano carers for (pre)settled status under Appendix EU. A person who fulfils the requirements of Reg 16 of the Immigration EEA Regulations 2016 enjoys a derivative right of residence, even if an appellant has not yet made an initial (or renewed) application for LTR under Appendix FM (or otherwise pursuant to Art 8 ECHR) on the basis of the relationship with the British citizen child.

SSHD updated their Derivative Residence Card Guidance to mirror the flawed and outdated legal position of Court of Appeal in Patel v SSHD [2017] EWCA Civ 2028 (13 December 2017), notwithstanding Supreme Court in Patel v Secretary of State for the Home Department [2019] UKSC 59 (16 December 2019). The guidance continues to define a derivative right to reside as a right of last resort.

SC overturned the CA’s ruling, and thus invalidated the SSHD’s position. The test developed by SC asks what would happen if Zambrano carers were compelled to leave the EU, rather than whether they would be so compelled. SC indirectly protects the TCN’s right to reside by explicitly safeguarding the Union citizen’s Art. 20 TFEU rights against interference:

"Any rights conferred on third-country nationals are not autonomous rights of those nationals but rights derived from those enjoyed by a Union citizen. The purpose and justification of those derived rights are based on the fact that a refusal to allow them would be such as to interfere, in particular, with a Union citizen’s freedom of movement (Chavez-Vilchez,para 62 and the case law cited)."

Furthermore, “Article 20 TFEU precludes national measures, including decisions...which have the effect of depriving Union citizens of the genuine enjoyment of the substance of the rights conferred by virtue of their status.”

The SSHD’s legal position is untenable. By breaching Art. 20 TFEU, SSHD breaches the appellant’s rights under the EU Treaties, in respect of residence in the United Kingdom.

LULUBABY
Mood:
Nigeria

Post by LULUBABY » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:53 am

Update : After serving the HO their copy of my bundle (for Judicial Review) on the 11th of November which they received on the 12th of November, I got a reply from them just same as the one I posted here a few days ago. They are asking for another 14days as per my PAP, which will end on the 23rd of November.

Miss-Suz
Member of Standing
Mood:
Cote D-Ivoire

Post by Miss-Suz » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:09 pm

netqueen wrote:
lolwe wrote:
Miss-Suz wrote:
lolwe wrote:

That is shocking.
It is my dear

Thank you Netqueen,

Exactly, don’t understand them at all!
I send a letter to that caseworker.
I told him that he has no right to close my EUSS application and He has no right to tell me which route I have to apply for.
He stated that I have made an incorrect application by applying for Zambrano route and that I don’t meet the requirements just because I did not put in any application under family and private life.
He stated that I am unable to qualify for status under the scheme. I told him, listen, as a parent of a British citizen child I have already got derivatives right, I am therefore qualify to apply under Zambrano route because I have Zambrano right to reside.
I should not be forced to apply for leave under Appendix FM as I am a Zambrano carer.

I even asked him, this part of the guidance where it says
to be considered for a Zambrano status the person must be without leave to enter or remain in the UK granted under another part of the Immigration Rules. Isn’t that apply to me? I don’t have any leave why would you tell me that I’m not qualify??

And I inserted this part of judge Neville jugement.

I told him it is unlawful to ask me to submit an Appendix FM application before making a Zambrano application. I am therefore ask him to consider my Zambrano EU settlement application and give me a decision as soon as possible!!

Miss-Suz
Member of Standing
Mood:
Cote D-Ivoire

Post by Miss-Suz » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:16 pm

lolwe wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:12 am
netqueen wrote:
lolwe wrote:
Miss-Suz wrote:

It is my dear

1.) The Home Office do not respect "case law" - particularly if the decision comes from the First Tier Tribunal (a lower court).
2.) The Home Office hope Zambrano carers will just give up and not challenge their refusals.
True, they expect us to give and not challenge their refusals,
That won’t happen with me as I will fight this at all cost

Miss-Suz
Member of Standing
Mood:
Cote D-Ivoire

Post by Miss-Suz » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:17 pm

Miss-Suz wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:16 pm
lolwe wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:12 am
netqueen wrote:
lolwe wrote:

True, they expect us to give up and not challenge their refusals,
That won’t happen with me as I will fight this at all cost

lolwe
inactive
Zimbabwe

Post by lolwe » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:33 pm

Mohamed v SSHD 2020

Before UPPER TRIBUNAL JUDGE GRUBB on 14 Jul 2020

https://tribunalsdecisions.service.gov. ... 04149-2019

Per First Tier Tribunal Judge Lever:
I further note that which was said in the case of Patel [2017] EWCA Civ 2028 at para 78 that a derivative right to reside is a right of last resort which only applies if a person has no other means to remain lawfully in the UK. The appellant has not made an application under the Immigration Rules.

Per Upper Tribunal Judge Grubb:
The appellant is entitled to rely upon the EU law derived from the CJEU's decisions and applied by the Supreme Court in Patel and Shah.

In my judgment, Judge Lever materially erred in law by failing to apply the approach of the Supreme Court in Patel and Shah and, in doing so, failed to make appropriate findings as to whether or not the appellant had the required "relationship of dependency" which would, in fact, lead to his daughter being compelled to leave the UK either with, or without, his ex-partner. Of course, Judge Lever did not have the advantage of the Supreme Court's decision in Patel and Shah which post-dated his decision. He, perhaps not unnaturally, applied the terms of reg 16(5) to which his attention was directed. Nevertheless, the declaratory effect of the Supreme Court's decision is that, in retrospect, it is clear that he fell into error. For this reason, his decision cannot stand and I set it aside.

There is one further point on the ground relying on the Supreme Court's decision in Patel and Shah. The grounds are also critical of Judge Lever's adoption of the Court of Appeal's comment (at [78]) that a derivative right is a right of last resort. Although the Supreme Court did not specifically refer to the Court of Appeal's comment that a derivative right of residence is a right of last resort which would only apply if a person has no other means to remain lawfully in the UK, I see no basis for such a limitation in principle. The fact that a person may be able to establish an alternative basis for remaining in the UK does not detract from, if it is established, his EU right of residence derived from the effect of his British citizen child being unable to remain in the UK. Of course, if the individual, in fact, has a right to remain in the UK (say under the Immigration Rules) then the derivative right based upon him leaving the UK and that his British citizen child will be compelled to leave with him would fall away.

Innerpeace
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Innerpeace » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:49 pm

lolwe wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:33 pm
Mohamed v SSHD 2020

I further note that which was said in the case of Patel [2017] EWCA Civ 2028 at para 78 that a derivative right to reside is a right of last resort which only applies if a person has no other means to remain lawfully in the UK. The appellant has not made an application under the Immigration Rules.

The appellant is entitled to rely upon the EU law derived from the CJEU's decisions and applied by the Supreme Court in Patel and Shah.

In my judgment, Judge Lever materially erred in law by failing to apply the approach of the Supreme Court in Patel and Shah and, in doing so, failed to make appropriate findings as to whether or not the appellant had the required "relationship of dependency" which would, in fact, lead to his daughter being compelled to leave the UK either with, or without, his ex-partner. Of course, Judge Lever did not have the advantage of the Supreme Court's decision in Patel and Shah which post-dated his decision. He, perhaps not unnaturally, applied the terms of reg 16(5) to which his attention was directed. Nevertheless, the declaratory effect of the Supreme Court's decision is that, in retrospect, it is clear that he fell into error. For this reason, his decision cannot stand and I set it aside.

There is one further point on the ground relying on the Supreme Court's decision in Patel and Shah. The grounds are also critical of Judge Lever's adoption of the Court of Appeal's comment (at [78]) that a derivative right is a right of last resort. Although the Supreme Court did not specifically refer to the Court of Appeal's comment that a derivative right of residence is a right of last resort which would only apply if a person has no other means to remain lawfully in the UK, I see no basis for such a limitation in principle. The fact that a person may be able to establish an alternative basis for remaining in the UK does not detract from, if it is established, his EU right of residence derived from the effect of his British citizen child being unable to remain in the UK. Of course, if the individual, in fact, has a right to remain in the UK (say under the Immigration Rules) then the derivative right based upon him leaving the UK and that his British citizen child will be compelled to leave with him would fall away.
Thank you Lolwe for the valuable input, the effort and dedication you are showing in advising others are amazing! It is a moral boost being on this forum. Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences and advice ❤

lolwe
inactive
Zimbabwe

Post by lolwe » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:34 am

Innerpeace wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:49 pm
lolwe wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:33 pm
Mohamed v SSHD 2020

Thank you Lolwe for the valuable input, the effort and dedication you are showing in advising others are amazing! It is a moral boost being on this forum. Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences and advice ❤
Hi Innerpeace, Thank you for your message. I am glad you find the information useful. Knowledge is power! :D

lolwe
inactive
Zimbabwe

Post by lolwe » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:22 am

Do you REALLY know why the Home Office is wrong for refusing your EUSS application based on you not having applied for LTR under Appendix FM?

So, you were refused for settlement under EUSS. The reason? Because you have not applied for leave to remain under Appendix FM. You plan to fight this refusal to court, if necessary. Maybe you read what Judge Neville of the First-tier Tribunal (IAC) at Taylor House ruled said on 30 January 2020:

a person meeting the requirements Regulation 16 of the Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations 2016 (‘the 2016 Regulations’) has a derivative right of residence notwithstanding that he or she has not yet made an application under the Immigration Rules and pursuant to Article 8 ECHR

Here is a bit of background to put Judge Neville's ruling in to context.

First, a bit about Ruiz Zambrano, Belgium and the European Court

Ruiz Zambrano lived with his family in Belgium. He lost his job because he didn't have a valid work permit. He sued the Employment Office in Belgium and won. He argued that he should not have to get a work permit as his children were born in Belgium and he therefore had a derived residence. Without this right, his family would have to leave Belgium. For him, this right was his last option. It was a right of last resort. The court agreed with him and said all EU member states should recognise this right.

THE UK
Had Ruiz Zambrano lived in the UK, he would have probably applied for a family visa. The visa would have allowed him to live and work in the UK. Everything would have been fine. Unfortunately for the UK, the UK had to apply the Zambrano ruling - even though it possibly was unnecessary. This is why the Home Office is so aggressive towards Zambrano carers. Before Zambrano, the Home Office would control what families would get visas. Now, they had to allow any family with a British child to live and work in the UK. Some of these families needed a bit of economic help, too.

The key point here is that the UK decided (was forced) to establish the Zambrano right to reside around 2014. A right of last resort - the Zambrano right - existed along with a right to remain under the UK law. If the UK did not want to implement the Zambrano right, they should have fought it at court. Anyway, once Zambrano was established in the UK, Zambrano carers were given two choices. They could apply under the UK rules, or exercise their Zambrano right to reside.

January 2017
Moving on to 2017, the Court of Appeal decided to redefine what it meant to be a Zambrano carer. The Court of Appeal said a Zambrano right to reside was a right of last resort. This ruling effectively cancelled the Zambrano right to reside for 99% of Zambrano carers because they could just switch to leave to remain under the Immigration Rules. In my opinion, this ruling was careless and did harm to Zambrano carers.

Moreover, it is wrong for the UK to suddenly change its position on derivative rights. Zambrano was firmly established as an option at that point. People had built their lives around it.

The real damage came from the Home Office. They looked at this ruling and changed their guidance. From 2017, the Home Office has been telling some Zambrano carers (but not all) that they must apply for leave to remain under the Immigration Rules (Appendix FP).

January 2019
Anyway, a greater injustice followed. The Supreme Court then took two years to finally reverse the Court of Appeal's ruling. Moreover, the Supreme Court failed to reject the Court of Appeal's position in clear, unambiguous language. The Supreme Court could have said, "The Zambrano right is NOT a right of last resort in the UK." Instead, they said other things that meant roughly the same thing.

January 2020
It took another year for a First Tier Tribunal judge, Judge Neville, to look at the Supreme Court ruling and understand that the Supreme Court basically said the Zambrano right is not a right of last resort - "A person meeting the requirements Regulation 16 of the Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations 2016 (‘the 2016 Regulations’) has a derivative right of residence notwithstanding that he or she has not yet made an application under the Immigration Rules and pursuant to Article 8 ECHR." Unfortunately, because the ruling was made in the First Tier Tribunal, the public can not see what the judge wrote.

July 2020
Months later, the Upper Tribunal got involved. Cases at the Upper Tribunal are publicly available. In Mohamed v SSHD, Judge Lever of the First Tier Tribunal ruled against a Zambrano carer, stating the carer should apply under the UK rules as Zambrano was only a right of last resort. Judge Lever only had the Court of Appeal ruling to rely on at the time. Judge Grubb looked at the Supreme Court case and concluded Judge Lever was wrong.

Although the Supreme Court did not specifically refer to the Court of Appeal's comment that a derivative right of residence is a right of last resort which would only apply if a person has no other means to remain lawfully in the UK, I see no basis for such a limitation in principle. The fact that a person may be able to establish an alternative basis for remaining in the UK does not detract from, if it is established, his EU right of residence derived from the effect of his British citizen child being unable to remain in the UK.

So, now you know the story. Hopefully that puts all of the arguments in context.

I will say that if your argument is, "Home Office is wrong because of Judge Neville", you may want to expand your argument a bit.

What is Article 20 TFEU?
Article 20 TFEU prohibits national measures which have the effect of depriving EU citizens of the genuine enjoyment of the substance of the rights conferred by virtue of their status. Second, a refusal to grant a right of residence to a Third Country National TCN can undermine the effectiveness of the Union citizen if there exists a relationship of dependency between the TCN and the Union citizen of such a nature that it would lead to the Union citizen being compelled to leave the territory of the European Union as a whole for an indefinite period of time in order to accompany the third-country national concerned (para. 52).

LULUBABY
Mood:
Nigeria

Post by LULUBABY » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:13 am

Hi Snooky, please I received an email from Immigration Team 1 – Home Office and Immigration Division, Government Legal Department, asking for a clarification in connection with my JR bundle

When I saw LULUBABY VS SSHD my heart almost evaporated from within me.

Please Snooky, IST, Ngoo... talk to me. I am crying. It’s so hard. I am trying to be brave but can’t anymore.

IST
Uruguay

Post by IST » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:23 am

LULUBABY wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:13 am
Hi Snooky, please I received an email from Immigration Team 1 – Home Office and Immigration Division, Government Legal Department, asking for a clarification in connection with my JR bundle

Please Snooky, IST, Ngoo... talk to me. I am crying. It’s so hard. I am trying to be brave but can’t anymore.
Lulubaby please be strong

What exactly clarification they are after they not happy with your bundle?

JB007
- thin ice -
United Kingdom

Post by JB007 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:00 am

lolwe wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:22 am

Ruiz Zambrano lived with his family in Belgium. He lost his job because he didn't have a valid work permit. He sued the Employment Office in Belgium and won.

According to this site, they were failed asylum seekers in 2000. They applied for benefits and were refused; then he got caught working illegally. As he has 2 more children born in Belgium in 2003 and 2005, they are who he wanted Belgium citizenship for as he claimed they could not have cuban citizeship from the parents as their other child had. 2 September 2005, their children born in Belgium received Belgium nationality.
You can read it here-
https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content ... 2009CJ0034

JB007
- thin ice -
United Kingdom

Post by JB007 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:17 am

JB007 wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:00 am
lolwe wrote:

Ruiz Zambrano lived with his family in Belgium. He lost his job because he didn't have a valid work permit. He sued the Employment Office in Belgium and won.

According to this site, they were failed asylum seekers in 2000. They applied for benefits and were refused; then he got caught working illegally. As he has 2 more children born in Belgium in 2003 and 2005, they are who he wanted Belgium citizenship for as he claimed they could not have cuban citizeship from the parents as their other child had. 2 September 2005, their children born in Belgium received Belgium nationality.
You can read it here-
Adding the 2011ruling from the link, that allows non-EEA/CH parents of EU citizen children, to work in thae member state their children are a citizen of-

Article 20 TFEU is to be interpreted as meaning that it precludes a Member State from refusing a third country national upon whom his minor children, who are European Union citizens, are dependent, a right of residence in the Member State of residence and nationality of those children, and from refusing to grant a work permit to that third country national, in so far as such decisions deprive those children of the genuine enjoyment of the substance of the rights attaching to the status of European Union citizen.

lolwe
inactive
Zimbabwe

Post by lolwe » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:56 am

JB007 wrote:
lolwe wrote:

You can read it here-
JB007, I am not sure what point you are making? Yes, at one point he had worked illegally.

Mr Zambrano was granted a valid residence permit in 2009.

The judgement was in 2011.

He could live in Belgium but could not work. That is why his situation was different to the UK. In the UK, when you apply under Appendix FP (now FM), you are granted residence AND the right to work.

JUDGMENT OF THE COURT (Grand Chamber)

8 March 2011

14 On 14 April 1999, Mr Ruiz Zambrano, who was in possession of a visa issued by the Belgian embassy in Bogotá (Colombia), applied for asylum in Belgium. In February 2000, his wife, also a Columbian national, likewise applied for refugee status in Belgium.

15 By decision of 11 September 2000, the Belgian authorities refused their applications and ordered them to leave Belgium. However, the order notified to them included a non-refoulement clause stating that they should not be sent back to Colombia in view of the civil war in that country.

16 On 20 October 2000, Mr Ruiz Zambrano applied to have his situation regularised pursuant to the third paragraph of Article 9 of the Law of 15 December 1980. In his application, he referred to the absolute impossibility of returning to Colombia and the severe deterioration of the situation there, whilst emphasising his efforts to integrate into Belgian society, his learning of French and his child’s attendance at pre-school, in addition to the risk, in the event of a return to Columbia, of a worsening of the significant post-traumatic syndrome he had suffered in 1999 as a result of his son, then aged 3, being abducted for a week.

17 By decision of 8 August 2001, that application was rejected. An action was brought for annulment and suspension of that decision before the Conseil d’État, which rejected the action for suspension by a judgment of 22 May 2003.

18 Since 18 April 2001, Mr Ruiz Zambrano and his wife have been registered in the municipality of Schaerbeek (Belgium). On 2 October 2001, although he did not hold a work permit, Mr Ruiz Zambrano signed an employment contract for an unlimited period to work full-time with the Plastoria company, with effect from 1 October 2001.

19 On 1 September 2003, Mr Ruiz Zambrano’s wife gave birth to a second child, Diego, who acquired Belgian nationality pursuant to Article 10(1) of the Belgian Nationality Code, since Columbian law does not recognise Colombian nationality for children born outside the territory of Colombia where the parents do not take specific steps to have them so recognised.

20 The order for reference further indicates that, at the time of his second child’s birth, Mr Ruiz Zambrano had sufficient resources from his working activities to provide for his family. His work was paid according to the various applicable scales, with statutory deductions made for social security and the payment of employer contributions.

21 On 9 April 2004, Mr and Mrs Ruiz Zambrano again applied to have their situation regularised pursuant to the third paragraph of Article 9 of the Law of 15 December 1980, putting forward as a new factor the birth of their second child and relying on Article 3 of Protocol 4 to the European Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms, signed at Rome on 4 November 1950 (‘ECHR’), which prevents that child from being required to leave the territory of the State of which he is a national.

22 Following the birth of their third child, Jessica, on 26 August 2005, who, like her brother Diego, acquired Belgian nationality, on 2 September 2005 Mr and Mrs Ruiz Zambrano lodged an application to take up residence pursuant to Article 40 of the Law of 15 December 1980, in their capacity as ascendants of a Belgian national. On 13 September 2005, a registration certificate was issued to them provisionally covering their residence until 13 February 2006.

23 Mr Ruiz Zambrano’s application to take up residence was rejected on 8 November 2005, on the ground that he ‘[could] not rely on Article 40 of the Law of 15 December 1980 because he had disregarded the laws of his country by not registering his child with the diplomatic or consular authorities, but had correctly followed the procedures available to him for acquiring Belgian nationality [for his child] and then trying on that basis to legalise his own residence’. On 26 January 2006, his wife’s application to take up residence was rejected on the same ground.

24 Since the introduction of his action for review of the decision rejecting his application for residence in March 2006, Mr Ruiz Zambrano has held a special residence permit valid for the entire duration of that action.

25 In the meantime, on 10 October 2005, Mr Ruiz Zambrano’s employment contract was temporarily suspended on economic grounds, which led him to lodge a first application for unemployment benefit, which was rejected by a decision notified to him on 20 February 2006. That decision was challenged before the referring court by application of 12 April 2006.

26 In the course of the inquiries in the action brought against that decision, the Office des Étrangers (Aliens’ Office) confirmed that ‘the applicant and his wife cannot pursue any employment, but no expulsion measure can be taken against them because their application for legalising their situation is still under consideration’.

27 In the course of an inspection carried out on 11 October 2006 by the Direction générale du contrôle des lois sociales (Directorate General, Supervision of Social Legislation) at the registered office of Mr Ruiz Zambrano’s employer, he was found to be at work. He had to stop working immediately. The next day, Mr Ruiz Zambrano’s employer terminated his contract of employment with immediate effect and without compensation.

28 The application lodged by Mr Ruiz Zambrano for full-time unemployment benefits as from 12 October 2006 was rejected by a decision of the ONEm (National Employment Office), which was notified on 20 November 2006. On 20 December 2006 an action was also brought against that decision before the referring court.

29 On 23 July 2007, Mr Ruiz Zambrano was notified of the decision of the Office des Étrangers rejecting his application of 9 April 2004 to regularise his situation. The action brought against that decision before the Conseil du contentieux des étrangers (Council for asylum and immigration proceedings) was declared to be devoid of purpose by a judgment of 8 January 2008, as the Office des Étrangers had withdrawn that decision.

30 By letter of 25 October 2007, the Office des Étrangers informed Mr Ruiz Zambrano that the action for review he had brought in March 2006 against the decision rejecting his application to take up residence of 2 September 2005 had to be reintroduced within 30 days of the notification of that letter, in the form of an action for annulment before the Conseil du contentieux des étrangers.

31 On 19 November 2007, Mr Ruiz Zambrano brought such an action for annulment, based, first, on the inexistence of the ‘legal engineering’ of which he had been charged in that decision, since the acquisition of Belgian nationality by his minor children was not the result of any steps taken by him, but rather of the application of the relevant Belgian legislation. Mr Ruiz Zambrano also alleges infringement of Articles 2 and 7 of Directive 2004/38, as well as infringement of Article 8 of the ECHR, and of Article 3(1) of Protocol No 4 thereto.

32 In its written observations lodged before the Court, the Belgian Government states that, since 30 April 2009, Mr Ruiz Zambrano has had a provisional and renewable residence permit, and should have a type C work permit, pursuant to the instructions of 26 March 2009 of the Minister for immigration and asylum policy relating to the application of the former third paragraph of Article 9 and Article 9a of the Law of 15 December 1980.

33 It is apparent from the order for reference that the two decisions which are the subject-matter of the main proceedings, by which the ONEm refused to recognise Mr Ruiz Zambrano’s entitlement to unemployment benefit, first, during the periods of temporary unemployment from 10 October 2005 and then 12 October 2006, following the loss of his job, are based solely on the finding that the working days on which he relies for the purpose of completing the qualifying period for his age category, that is, 468 working days during the 27 months preceding his claim for unemployment benefit, were not completed as required by the legislation governing foreigners’ residence and employment of foreign workers.

34 Mr Ruiz Zambrano challenges that argument before the referring court, stating inter alia that he enjoys a right of residence directly by virtue of the EC Treaty or, at the very least, that he enjoys the derived right of residence, recognised in Case C‑200/02 Zhu and Chen [2004] ECR I‑9925 for the ascendants of a minor child who is a national of a Member State and that, therefore, he is exempt from the obligation to hold a work permit.

LULUBABY
Mood:
Nigeria

Post by LULUBABY » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:02 pm

IST wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:23 am
LULUBABY wrote:

Thanks IST. They just wanted me to confirm that my bundle was complete and I don’t have any attachment still left out.
Their last email to me was received 20.28pm last night.
I am so sorry, I don’t know why I felt so emotional.

lolwe
inactive
Zimbabwe

Post by lolwe » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:04 pm

JB007 wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:17 am
JB007 wrote:
lolwe wrote:

You can read it here-
Adding the 2011ruling from the link, that allows non-EEA/CH parents of EU citizen children, to work in thae member state their children are a citizen of-

Article 20 TFEU is to be interpreted as meaning that it precludes a Member State from refusing a third country national upon whom his minor children, who are European Union citizens, are dependent, a right of residence in the Member State of residence and nationality of those children, and from refusing to grant a work permit to that third country national, in so far as such decisions deprive those children of the genuine enjoyment of the substance of the rights attaching to the status of European Union citizen.
Article 20 TFEU was interpreted by the Court in 2011 to mean non EEA parents of EU citizen children to work in the member state their children are a citizen of.

Prior to Zambrano, that interpretation of Article 20 TFEU did not exist. If it had existed, Zambrano could have just relied on it.

Similarly, the Supreme Court decision was interpreted to be a rejection of the Court Appeal's argument that Zambrano is a right of last resort by Judge Grubb, Judge Neville, et al.

JB007
- thin ice -
United Kingdom

Post by JB007 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:29 pm

lolwe wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:56 am

JB007, I am not sure what point you are making? Yes, at one point he had worked illegally.

Mr Zambrano was granted a valid residence permit in 2009.

The judgement was in 2011.

He could live in Belgium but could not work. That is why his situation was different to the UK. In the UK, when you apply under Appendix FP (now FM), you are granted residence AND the right to work.
I'm answering your post about the backgound to Ruiz Zambrano, hence my quote from that part of your post.
He went to Belgium as an asylum seeker and I assume that means that Belgium is one of the counries that allows Asylum seekers to work? I'm reading it as the reason he lost his work permit was because he was refused asylum.

The UK does not allow asylum seekers to work. The exception seems to be that if they had a visa that allowed work and they applied before that visa expires.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... considered

lolwe
inactive
Zimbabwe

Post by lolwe » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:55 pm

JB007 wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:29 pm

He went to Belgium as an asylum seeker and I assume that means that Belgium is one of the counries that allows Asylum seekers to work? I'm reading it as the reason he lost his work permit was because he was refused asylum.

The UK does not allow asylum seekers to work. The exception seems to be that if they had a visa that allowed work and they applied before that visa expires.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... considered
Ruiz Zambrano is an asylum seeker who gave birth to two children in the EU.

An asylum seeker who gives birth in the UK, or Belgium or anywhere in the EU can apply under the Immigration Rules for leave to remain and work.

The issue of his asylum applications was no longer relevant once he gave birth to his children in the EU.

IST
Uruguay

Post by IST » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:41 pm

LULUBABY wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:02 pm
IST wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:23 am
LULUBABY wrote:

Thanks IST. They just wanted me to confirm that my bundle was complete and I don’t have any attachment still left out.
Their last email to me was received 20.28pm last night.
I am so sorry, I don’t know why I felt so emotional.
Don’t worry we all feel that why. Long as you have send your bundle do not worry you will win

JB007
- thin ice -
United Kingdom

Post by JB007 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:53 pm

lolwe wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:55 pm

An asylum seeker who gives birth in the UK, or Belgium or anywhere in the EU can apply under the Immigration Rules for leave to remain and work.

The issue of his asylum applications was no longer relevant once he gave birth to his children in the EU.
As said above, the aritcle states-
-he was refused asylum in 2000
-his second child was born in Belgium. in 2003.
-Belgium nationality for that child was not granted until 2 September 2005 as Belgium said the baby should have the nationality of his parents, Columbian.

Having a baby in the UK as an asylum seeker, is not listed in the link I gave as the parents being allowed to work. I don't think that birth would grant the parents leave to remain in the UK either, unless they had managed to remain in the UK for another 10 years and the child could then register as a British citizen?

lolwe
inactive
Zimbabwe

Post by lolwe » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:00 pm

JB007 wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:53 pm
lolwe wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:55 pm

As said above, the aritcle states-
-he was refused asylum in 2000
-his second child was born in Belgium. in 2003.
-Belgium nationality for that child was not granted until 2 September 2005 as Belgium said the baby should have the nationality of his parents, Columbian.

Having a baby in the UK as an asylum seeker, is not listed in the link I gave as the parents being allowed to work. I don't think that birth would grant the parents leave to remain in the UK either, unless they had managed to remain in the UK for another 10 years and the child could then register as a British citizen?
This topic is moving away from the original thread...

There are Zambrano carers who were originally failed asylum seekers. There are parents with leave to remain under Appendix FM who were originally failed asylum seekers.

It does not matter that he was refused asylum in 2000. Zambrano was given residence in 2009. This court case happened in 2011.

You may want to do the research on what it takes to apply for Appendix FM. You may want to go to the Home Office guidance on Appendix FM, and search for the term 'asylum seeker'. See what it says.