ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Parent from EU moving to The UK permanently - is visa required ?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

annajoanna24
Newly Registered
Poland

Parent from EU moving to The UK permanently - is visa required ?

Post by annajoanna24 » Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:46 pm

Good day Everyone.
What would be an easy way for my mum, who is 64 year and retired now, move to the UK?
I have been living in the UK since 2004. I settled in the UK under EU law and applied for my British citizenship in 2018. I am have a dual citizenship and live and work in the UK.
As my mum is now living alone in Poland and I am the only child who will be looking after her in near future, I am trying to organise her relocation.
Do I need to apply for a visa for her, if so, what type?
If anyone has any suggestions what steps to take in this process, please share them with me.
Many thanks.

meself2
Ireland

Re: Parent from EU moving to The UK permanently - is visa required ?

Post by meself2 » Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:03 pm

annajoanna24 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:46 pm
Do I need to apply for a visa for her
Yes - it's no longer free movement. There's no easy way per se.
annajoanna24 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:46 pm
if so, what type?
First of all, the question is whether your mother is dependent on you and you can prove it.
If that is the case, your options are either EUSS or ADR (very small chance of success).
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

annajoanna24
Newly Registered
Poland

Post by annajoanna24 » Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:20 pm

Thank you for your response meself2.

She is not dependent on me financially but might be dependent on my care in the future. It is hard to predict...

Are there any other options available?

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:36 pm

annajoanna24 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:20 pm
Thank you for your response meself2.

She is not dependent on me financially but might be dependent on my care in the future. It is hard to predict...

Are there any other options available?
I cannot think about any other options that you are able to utilize using your relationship. UK doesn't support chain migration, really.
I might be missing something, of course, so possibly other members can chip in.

Of course, she can get a visa in her own right to work/study/etc in the UK, but I assume it's out of the question.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:01 am

There is not a migration route for parents into the U.K. It is nearly impossible to bring parents to the U.K. in any form of settlement. Given your Mum is not and has not been dependent on you that shuts off the possibility of residual EU rights.
The Adult Dependent Route is not going to be entertained as Poland has all the facilities and care that the U.K. can offer so that is a non starter.