ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Over 450 days and 6 years of residence

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

alwaysworrying9824
Newly Registered
Estonia

Over 450 days and 6 years of residence

Post by alwaysworrying9824 » Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:08 pm

Hello, I would greatly appreciate some advice on how realistic/likely it would be for me to be granted UK citizenship, if I applied this summer.

My information:
• EU member state passport (Estonia)
• Settled Status granted in July 2023
• First arrived in the UK in May 2018
• Looking to apply for British citizenship in August 2024

My situation
• 529 days spent outside the UK during the qualifying period (1 Aug 2019 to 1 Aug 2024).
• 146 of these days were not preventable due to covid-19 restrictions
• Total absences from the UK less covid-19 related days = 383

Covid-19 absences
• Went to Australia on a working holiday visa in Sept 2019, intending to only stay till 5-6 months.
• My return was delayed by 146 days due to covid-19 restrictions and my chronic illness that made me vulnerable.

I am wondering if immigration would potentially exercise discretion in my case. I've seen some documents that specify if you want immigration to exercise discretion for absences of less than 730 days, they would expect that you've been a resident for 7 years but it doesn't seem to be a clear requirement. I've been a resident for 6 years.

Anyone with experience being granted citizenship with absences over 450 and 6 years of residence?

Many thanks in advance for any and all insights!

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Re: Over 450 days and 6 years of residence

Post by contorted_svy » Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:17 pm

To my knowledge we haven't had many successful cases where applicants asked for discretion because of COVID. Did you make any efforts to book flights, and were the flights cancelled? Do you have a letter from your GP stating that travelling would have been a serious risk to your health?

If you want to go down this path you may want to speak to a solicitor, as I said we don't have a lot of success stories to build on.

The advice on the guidance is quite clear:
Where an applicant has spent more than the 450 days for section 6(1) applications, or 270 days for section 6(2) applications, outside of the UK during the qualifying period you must consider exercising discretion if they meet the other requirements.

Where the applicant exceeds the permitted absence by 30 days or less you must exercise discretion unless there are other grounds on which the application falls to be refused.

Where the applicant has absences of between 480 and 900 days for applications under section 6(1) of the British Nationality Act 1981, or 300 and 540 days for applications under section 6(2) and otherwise meets the requirements you must only consider exercising discretion where the applicant has established their home, employment, family and finances in the UK, and one or more of the following applies:

at least 2 years residence (for applications under section 6(1)), or 1 year (for applications under section 6(2)), without substantial absences immediately prior to the beginning of the qualifying period - if the period of absence is greater than 730 days (for section 6(1)) or 450 days (for section 6(2)) the period of residence must be at least 3 or 2 years respectively

the excess absences are the result of:

postings abroad in Crown service under the UK government or in service designated under section 2(3) of the British Nationality act 1981.

accompanying a British citizen spouse or civil partner on an appointment overseas

the excess absences were an unavoidable consequence of the nature of the applicant’s career, such as a merchant seaman or employment with a multinational company based in the UK with frequent travel abroad

exceptionally compelling reasons of an occupational or compassionate nature to justify naturalisation now, such as a firm job offer where British citizenship is a statutory or mandatory requirement

the applicant was prevented from being in the UK because they had been removed from the UK, and the decision to remove them was later overturned

the applicant was incorrectly prevented from resuming permanent residence in the UK following an absence

the excess absences were because the applicant was unable to return to the UK because of global pandemic
Two year of residence before the beginning of the qualifying period are required.

Also note in the guidance I just quoted it says the excess absences were because the applicant was unable to return to the UK because of global pandemic. So your COVID absences may be waived only up to the point when borders between the country where you were and the UK were closed. Being vulnerable doesn't mean you were unable to return, you could have taken precautions and get on a flight once borders were open.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

alwaysworrying9824
Newly Registered
Estonia

Post by alwaysworrying9824 » Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:16 pm

Hi there, thank you for the reply, very useful and insightful. I do have letters from doctors saying I was vulnerable and shouldn't travel but still, if you haven't had much success asking the home office to exercise discretion related to covid, then perhaps my chances are not so high.

TalitaZ

Post by TalitaZ » Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:28 am

Hi, my husband had the around the same number of absent days and 6 years residence. His application got approved. His absences were due to sudden Covid lockdown and a severe accident he had while he was abroad that left him in ICU for a month + recovering for a further 4 months. We were able to back everything up with paperwork such as flight bookings with the original intended return date, lots of hospital and medical files, email communication with our GP etc. We had an immigration lawyer help us and the application took 6 months but it got approved, so it is possible!

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:47 am

TalitaZ wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:28 am
Hi, my husband had the around the same number of absent days and 6 years residence. His application got approved. His absences were due to sudden Covid lockdown and a severe accident he had while he was abroad that left him in ICU for a month + recovering for a further 4 months. We were able to back everything up with paperwork such as flight bookings with the original intended return date, lots of hospital and medical files, email communication with our GP etc. We had an immigration lawyer help us and the application took 6 months but it got approved, so it is possible!
Congratulations and thank you for reporting back - would be useful if you could share how many days your husband was absent and how long after the borders ropened he was able to return.
alwaysworrying9824 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:16 pm
Hi there, thank you for the reply, very useful and insightful. I do have letters from doctors saying I was vulnerable and shouldn't travel but still, if you haven't had much success asking the home office to exercise discretion related to covid, then perhaps my chances are not so high.
Keyword there is "shouldn't". I am not saying it would have been safe for you to travel or you should have disregarded advice from your doctor, just that letters saying you shouldn't travel on their own may not be accepted as a strong enough case. Do you have flight bookings that were cancelled? See TalitaZ's post and try to collect as much evidence as possible - I don't think it's impossible, but they probably are quite strict so best to build the strongest possible case and potentially getting advice from a solicitor. if you can't find enough evidence you can wait until your absences go down, at the end of the day it is your choice.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

alwaysworrying9824
Newly Registered
Estonia

Post by alwaysworrying9824 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:41 am

Thank you both for the reply. This is all very helpful. Perhaps I will consult a lawyer first before applying, rather than doing it on my own.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:20 pm

Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:41 am
Thank you both for the reply. This is all very helpful. Perhaps I will consult a lawyer first before applying, rather than doing it on my own.
Do keep the thread updated.

TalitaZ

Post by TalitaZ » Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:37 pm

contorted_svy wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:47 am
TalitaZ wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:28 am
Congratulations and thank you for reporting back - would be useful if you could share how many days your husband was absent and how long after the borders ropened he was able to return.

Hi, his total absence were 538 days in 5 years. There were two long absences due
to covid lockdown (195 days) and a severe accident abroad (157 days).
He was in India for work for 4 months and supposed to travel back to UK in March 2020 but got stuck there for an additional 2 months, he managed to get on an evacuation flight to UK in May 2020 (regular air travel had not opened back up yet).
His accident happened in India too, in Nov 2020 he was supposed to be there for just 3 weeks for a family visit, and had a return flight booked, but got in a severe scooter accident and was in the ICU for a month and re-admitted to hospital late Jan 2021. Due to the severity of his injuries he wasn't able to travel back home to UK until late April. We had a lot of paperwork to back this all up, and we had a great lawyer - thankfully they granted him the citizenship.

Hope that helps!

TalitaZ

Post by TalitaZ » Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:38 pm

Not sure if we are allowed to share names / companies here, but our lawyer was xxxx from xxxxxxxxx in London and he was great.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:50 pm

TalitaZ wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:38 pm
Not sure if we are allowed to share names / companies here, but our lawyer was xxxx from xxxxxxxxx in London and he was great.
You are not allowed so please don't.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

TalitaZ

Post by TalitaZ » Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:52 pm

CR001 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:50 pm
TalitaZ wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:38 pm
You are not allowed so please don't.
Thank you, sorry!!