ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

HMPO questions for evidence

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Morobek
South Africa

HMPO questions for evidence

Post by Morobek » Mon May 20, 2024 3:06 pm

Hi there, just got an email from HMPO about my son’s birth certificate. He was UK born but we got settled status after he was born. He does have a registration/naturalisation certificate which we submitted. They’re asking for his birth certificate and say “ British passports are issued to those who have a claim to British nationality. Under the British Nationality Act 1981, a child born in the UK after 31 December 1982 is a British citizen only if one parent is a British citizen or is settled in the UK. We need evidence to confirm this.” will gladly supply birth certificate but isn’t the certificate evidence of citizenship?(if that makes sense) - should I send our settled BRPs with the application just in case?

hiiesa
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Re: HMPO questions for evidence

Post by hiiesa » Mon May 20, 2024 3:58 pm

Morobek wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 3:06 pm
Hi there, just got an email from HMPO about my son’s birth certificate. He was UK born but we got settled status after he was born. He does have a registration/naturalisation certificate which we submitted. They’re asking for his birth certificate and say “ British passports are issued to those who have a claim to British nationality. Under the British Nationality Act 1981, a child born in the UK after 31 December 1982 is a British citizen only if one parent is a British citizen or is settled in the UK. We need evidence to confirm this.” will gladly supply birth certificate but isn’t the certificate evidence of citizenship?(if that makes sense) - should I send our settled BRPs with the application just in case?
Hi, I have also same question for my kid, I sent them only child birth certificate, both certificates came back with British passport. I didn’t provide anything else’s

Morobek
South Africa

Post by Morobek » Mon May 20, 2024 4:02 pm

Thanks that’s very helpful- maybe it’s a standard template email!

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Mon May 20, 2024 4:05 pm

I believe for child's passports birth certificatews are required but I could be wrong. do you remember if it was requested in the checklist?
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

Morobek
South Africa

Post by Morobek » Mon May 20, 2024 4:09 pm

It asked for court orders relating to the child - parental responsibility. So I assumed because I didn’t have any court orders , nothing else was needed. Guess I was wrong.

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Mon May 20, 2024 4:13 pm

Morobek wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 3:06 pm
You're correct is saying that the child registration certificate is evidence enough that child is British.

Don't forget, every establishment has rookies and people make mistakes. It's your job to point this out as you've just done here.

Send them the certificate as well, as it costs you nothing to do so.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Mon May 20, 2024 4:38 pm

Morobek wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 4:09 pm
It asked for court orders relating to the child - parental responsibility. So I assumed because I didn’t have any court orders , nothing else was needed. Guess I was wrong.
Birth certificate with your name on it proves parental responsibility. That is why you need to send it.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

Morobek
South Africa

Post by Morobek » Mon May 20, 2024 4:52 pm

Fair enough, it’s just confusing because the email asks for it to confirm citizenship. But hopefully it’s just a standard template. I’ll send it just in case.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Mon May 20, 2024 4:54 pm

It's probably just a template email. Best of luck.

Morobek
South Africa

Post by Morobek » Wed May 29, 2024 10:36 am

I can confirm, if anyone is in a similar position, that it’s a template email and the birth certificate is for parental responsibility. I called and this was confirmed. All the best to everyone.